The major players in the foldable smartphone market are Samsung and Huawei. However, with the ban on Huawei, the U.S. has succeeded in creating some sort of monopoly in the foldable smartphone segment. According to data from DSCC, the total shipments of foldable smartphones in the first quarter of 2022 were 2.22 million units. This is an increase of 571% over the same period last year. Among them, Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 accounts for 51% of the market share of foldable smartphones worldwide. This makes it the best-selling foldable smartphone in the world in the first quarter.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 has led the market for three consecutive quarters. The Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3 is the second most popular foldable smartphone in the first quarter. Samsung currently dominates the foldable smartphone market with a market share of 74%.
In addition, Huawei’s market share of the foldable smartphone market is also increasing, closely following Samsung. In the first quarter of this year, the company’s market share hit 20%, of which the sales of Huawei P50 Pocket played a big role. It could have been much higher but for the U.S. ban. Thus, Huawei and Samsung alone claim 94% of the global foldable smartphone market.
DSCC researchers said that the foldable screen mobile phone market has ushered in rapid expansion. The shipments of foldable smartphones are expected to increase to 107% this year, exceeding 16 million units. In addition, shipments of foldable smartphone panels will increase by 102% to more than 20 million. Samsung’s upcoming Z Flip 4 and Z Fold 4, as well as Huawei’s new foldable models, will drive this growth.
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3 5G specifications
- Display: 6.7-inch FULL HD+ (2640 x 1080 pixels) 22:9 Dynamic AMOLED 2X Infinity Flex display with 120Hz adaptive refresh rate, 425ppi, external/ cover 1.9-inch (260 x 512 pixels) Super AMOLED display with 302ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass Victus protection
- SoC: Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 888 5nm Mobile Platform
- RAM/ROM: 8GB LPDDR5 RAM with 128GB / 256GB UFS 3.1 storage
- SIM: One eSIM and one Nano SIM
- Software: Android 11 with One UI 3.1
- Rear camera: 12MP (primary wide-angle) Super Speed dual pixel f/1.8 1.4μm Pixel Size + 12MP (ultra-wide) f/2.2 1.22μm Pixel Size; LED flash, HDR10+, OIS, Up to 8x digital zoom; Video: Up to 4K 60fps
- Front camera: 10MP with f/2.4 aperture
- Connectivity: 5G SA/NSA sub6 / mmWave, 4G, Wi-Fi 802.11 ax (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.1 LE , ANT+, USB Type-C, NFC, GPS
- Water resistant (IPX8)
- Audio: USB Type-C Audio, Stereo Speakers, Dolby Atmos
- Dimensions: Folded: 72.2×86.4×15.9~17.1mm,Unfolded: 166×72.2×6.9mm; Weight: 183 grams
- Battery: 3300mAh (Typical) battery with 15w fast charging, 10W Qi wireless charging, 4.5W reverse wireless charging